Frequently Asked Questions About Our Web Site and its Operation

Q. Who operates Arkansas Name Change Law?

A. Arkansas Name Change Law is operated by SmartLegalForms, Inc., a legal information services company that publishes digital solutions that help users solve their legal problems over the Internet.  We offer state-specific interactive legal documents and legal tools, enabling citizens to access the law without incurring the high cost of legal fees. Our goal is to provide legal solutions at prices that people can afford.

The founder and President of SmartLegalForms, Inc. is Richard S. Granat. Richard was previously the President and Dean of the Philadelphia Institute for Paralegal Training, the nation's first paralegal training school. Richard has been a member of the Maryland and District of Columbia Bar for over thirty years, and is the author of "How to Do Your Own Divorce in DC, Maryland, and Virginia," and "How to Do Your Divorce in Maryland" (1998). Richard is a member of the American Bar Association, the Maryland State Bar Association, and the District of Columbia Bar Association.  Richard is committed to the idea that there are many routine legal tasks that can be undertaken without the full participation of an attorney and that information technology can make the law accessible and understandable to the general public. These beliefs are grounded in empirical research that has been ignored by the majority of the practicing bar.

(Back to Top)

Q. Can I really represent myself in my name change?

A. We believe that with accurate and complete legal information a person of reasonable intelligence and education can represent themselves in a wide variety of routine and uncontested family law, and other legal matters. This assumption is based on fact. For research on pro se representation see:  In an evaluation study undertaken by the University of Maryland School of Law of a sample drawn from over 10,000 pro se litigants in family matters in Maryland Courts, seventy-four (74%) of the reported that they were satisfied with the result and would represent themselves again. Fifty-four (54%) percent reported that they decided to represent themselves because they thought a lawyer would be too expensive, and an additional eighteen (18%) reported that they represented themselves because they did not think that the problem was sufficiently complicated that a lawyer's services were required. These research findings are supported by similar research in other jurisdictions which are collected at the Pro Se Law Center. There are situations when you should not represent yourself and you should seek the assistance of counsel. These situations include where you have substantial assets; where you and your spouse cannot reach agreement on custody, visitation, or child support issues; and where your spouse is uncooperative or has been abusive. On the other hand if your dispute is uncontested, securing a legal result is only a matter of filing the correct legal documents in the correct order. 

(Back to Top)

Q. Who provides the answers to the legal information questions?

A. Our Legal Research Team answers you directly, but provides general legal information answers only -- not legal advice -- since we are not a law firm.

(Back to Top)

Q. What if I need legal advice?

A.  We would like to help you with your legal advice question. Unfortunately, we are not a law firm and cannot provide legal advice in particular cases nor do we answer individual legal inquiries. Our staff can only offer general information and any technical assistance you may require while using our sites and services. Many of our sites contain detailed Law Guides which cover many legal topics. Please review these guides, which can be located on the homepage of this site. You may wish to contact your local court clerk or a licensed attorney in your area.  

Arkansas Name Change Law is not a law firm, we do not offer legal advice.

(Back to Top)

Q. How do I contact Arkansas Name Change Law?

Contact Information:

Arkansas Name Change Law
SmartLegalForms, Inc.
9141 Reisterstown Road, #43
Owings Mills, Maryland 21117

Toll-free: 855-LGL-FORM (855-545-3676)

(Back to Top)

Q. Who processes my credit card information when purchasing kits or services?

A. Credit card transactions for Arkansas Name Change Law are processed by Chase Paymentech.

(Back to Top)

Q. Are my communications secure?

A. Arkansas Name Change Law is hosted on a secure Netscape Commerce Server, which uses the Secure Sockets Layer protocol (SSL). It is a security protocol and emerging standard like HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) to transfer information across the Internet. The main difference between the two is that SSL has special provisions (via various encryption schemes) to transfer information securely across the Internet. SSL enables a Web site visitor's browser to connect and transparently negotiate a secure communication channel. Once this connection has been made, information can be exchanged with theoretically no chance of any unauthorized third party interpreting the data.

(Back to Top)

Q. What is your refund policy?

A. Please click here to read our refund policy.

To request a refund, please simply contact us toll-free at 855-LGL-FORM (855-545-3676), or contact us.

(Back to Top)

Q. Why did your system decline my credit card, when I know that it is good?

A. We apologize for any difficulties which may have been caused by our web-site or your attempted purchase.

 Common reasons for a card to be declined include:

(1) P.O. Box listed as address.
(2) Wrong address listed.
(3) Credit card number entered incorrectly.
(4) Fields within the order process are skipped.
(5) Sometimes debit cards are not accepted by our systems.
(Back to Top)

Arkansas Name Change Forms


Adult Name Change $29.95


Adult Name Change $99.95

BBB Reliability Program

What Our Customers Say